HypnoBirthing, the Mongan Method, is a program that considers the psychological, as well as the physical, well-being of the mother, her birth partner, and the newborn, independent of context, whether that be at home, hospital, or birth center. HypnoBirthing is built around an educational process that includes special breathing, relaxation, visualization, self-hypnosis practice, and fosters an air of mutual respect for the birthing family and healthcare provider. Hypnosis is a safe, natural state of selective, focused attention. Typically people in hypnosis feel entirely present, though very relaxed. Throughout the HypnoBirthing sessions, you’ll practice hypnosis to help you remain calm and relaxed while fully aware throughout your birth experience. Our five sessions of HypnoBirthing are taught by Tracy Adams and Kira Dorrian, clinical hypnotherapists and HypnoBirthing childbirth educators certified through and affiliated with the HypnoBirthing Institute.
What You’ll Learn
- How to assist, rather than resist, your natural birthing instincts
- Rapid and instant self-relaxation techniques and deepening techniques
- Breathing techniques for labor and birthing
- Hypnotic relaxation and visualization
- Selecting the right care provider for your family
- The Birth Companion’s role in birthing
- Light-touch labor massage
- Natural ways to encourage your body into labor to avoid artificial chemical induction
- If labor rests or slows – Companion’s prompts and activities
- Collaborating with your care team
- Advocating for yourself and your baby on your birthing day.
Breastfeeding & Baby Basics
This 3-hour workshop covers the basics you’ll need to nourish, diaper, soothe, and keep baby safe and sound. You’ll also learn tools to help set practical priorities in place that will ease those early weeks.
You’ll learn essentials to get breastfeeding off to a great start, learning how to best support your baby’s natural instincts to nurse. We’ll cover latching, breastfeeding positions, feeding tips/techniques, how to know baby is getting enough to eat, strategies for common challenges, and resources for extra help if you need it.
We’ll introduce many elements of newborn care including diapering, swaddling and bathing. In this interactive class, you’ll practice these skills utilizing dolls.
This session is included with your HypnoBirthing tuition and is taught in sequence as an extended 6th session with each HypnoBirthing series.
This class is for women when baby is between 8 weeks and 18 months. This fun, practical 90-minute session teaches mothers easy and fast self-hypnosis techniques to improve the quality of rest, create calm and balance on challenging days, and find focus and mindfulness in a changing landscape.
Highlights include hypnotic time distortion for sleep, so whether you have five minutes or five hours to catch some rest, hypnosis will help make the most of the sleep you have. Hypnosis can enhance connection to baby by helping mother tune in to her baby and her own natural instincts.
Optional Plan B Class
Although we encourage positive visualization and self-advocacy to navigate any turn your labor may take, some couples prefer to be familiar with possible detours from natural birth. This optional 8th session is designed to help prepare you for unexpected situations you may face during your labor and birth experience, and the material covers special circumstances and medical interventions, and covers over how to best indicate your birth preferences in writing for these possible scenarios.
This class is taught by birth and postpartum doula Deana Thayer, and is offered approximately every eight weeks on Saturday afternoons. The cost for this class is $30, and you may enroll when you register for HypnoBirthing classes. Space limitations mean enrollment in this class is limited and will fill on a first-come basis.
Tuition includes $50
Tuition includes all materials
• 5-session HypnoBirthing series
• Breastfeeding & Newborn Care Workshop
• HypnoMothering Session
• Plan B Session (optional, $30 additional tuition)
We do our best to provide a makeup policy that balances convenience while maintaining the integrity of the HypnoBirthing program. With this in mind, we reserve space in each group for one makeup couple in each series (seats reserved on a first-ask basis), with some limitations (see below). When a group makeup class is not available due to schedule or capacity limitations, private sessions may be arranged for a fee of $125 (depending on teacher availability).
- Class 1 and Class 2: These sessions are the foundation for HypnoBirthing’s theory and techniques and may not be taken out of sequence. If you know in advance that you cannot attend Class 1 or 2 in your series we may be able to accommodate you in an earlier class series free of charge.
- For all other classes when space is available you’re welcome to make up with another group free of charge.
Private classes are available and for mothers on restricted activity online sessions may be an option. Please contact us for more information.